Why I Started the YouTube Thing (Because I Wanted To)





A long time ago when I was super into booktuber channels I tried to start doing videos about books.

I did one. It's right here. (Ew. Gross. Please don't watch it. I was awkward and young.)

It was too long, the quality was crummy, and I was horrible at editing (I might not be an expert now but at least I know something). At least people have told me it's funny, but that's the only thing that it's got going for it.

But recently, like last summer, I decided to try again.

It was because of a life-changing BTS (K-pop group) concert.

NOW what do I do you ask? Good question. For now, I'm pretty much doing K-pop things. Mostly music video reactions. It's something I'm really passionate about right now so that's what I'm doing right now (even though I'm not super happy with the quality of the programs I'm using but eh what can a poor person do).

That's not to say I don't plan to eventually incorporate book things into my channel though.

I'm also going to be doing some major (I'll explain in more detail when it's closer) traveling this summer and will be VLOGGING. Yayyyy.

So, after that extremely long probably unnecessary prologue to this post, I am now going to talk about why I do that YouTube thing.




Kidding, kidding. (Well mostly.)


#1 YouTube is another creative outlet...

Without the pressure of my blog. I mean, I love my blog but I have to write and schedule posts. I have to plan (I'm currently in the process of trying to plan posts until the end of May and it's mid February as I write this post). 

I don't mind because that's the only way I can keep up with things and do school at the same time. But it's tiring. 

So sometimes I make videos. I make videos without expectations of deadlines or certain dates or anything like that. If I feel too blegh to do a video then I DON'T DO IT. 

I know. It's great. 

#2 I love editing.

I love editing in various forms, like editing blog posts or books, but editing videos is just a whole nother level of relaxing to me. 

Just the concentration it takes, getting everything the way you want it, making it funny with how you're cutting the clips... it's the best. And there's nothing more satisfying than watching it upload to YouTube. 

#3 I'm forcing me out of my comfort zone.

Forcing yourself out of your comfort zone is not something that you always have to do, but in this case I wanted to make myself more comfortable with talking to the camera and better at expressing myself. 

I only realized that I'm a little bit of a slow talker (and mumbler but shhh it's a secret) when I started recording videos. 

I don't hate that about myself, but it's something I want to improve. 

I also feel like doing videos requires me to put more effort into displaying my personality. And I think that's good practice too, because I have a really hard time opening up to people but if I know how to express myself and my personality, that's minimized. 

#4 Views are awesome.

You didn't think this whole list would be full of pure intentions did you? *evil laugh*

Views are awesome. They make me feel appreciated, they tell me that people like my videos. It's an exciting thing. :)

#5 I get to connect to another community.

I do occasionally blog about K-pop or other things like design on this blog but if I post too much about different things I'm not really producing what my followers come here to read. 

So while I have no problem publishing the occasional K-pop post, I don't think it would be fair to the bookworms of the book community who follow me to do that all the time. With my YouTube channel, I'm tying into another huge community--the K-pop lover world. 


Are you on Youtube a lot? Do you just watch videos or do you post some of your own stuff too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Haul + My First Guest Post (!)

Airplanes and Sky

Waiting on Wednesday {2}