New Old Books

This is where I list the books I got from my favorite used-books store. Now that I think about it, I usually do this after I've read all of them, but I got six this time and with the stuff I have to do for school and the R.E.A.D.S. that I have to read before a certain time they are not top priorities. 

I just got two college applications turned in. By the way, if you're applying to many colleges (in the United States) you should definitely use the Common Application if those schools use it because it is so much simpler. You don't have to request transcripts and standard test scores every time you apply which takes so much stress off of the whole process. You don't have to wonder whether or not the transcripts and test scores will get to the colleges by their deadlines. 

I aim to do a lot more educational extra stuff tonight and maybe a little tomorrow (but there's a big family Thanksgiving, so...much less probability of happening). 

I know, I know. When am I going to get to the good stuff right?? Well, now is the time. BEHOLD>>>


Snowfire by Terri Farley

I've actually read this before and it's the ninth book of the Wild Horse Island series (which you can probably see *slaps forehead*). I read these books when I was, like, eleven or twelve. So they're definitely very far from young adult. I used to think they were the greatest things, but the plots are quite simple and the writing could be better. That said, as it was a favorite back in the olden days (and the covers are delicious), I'm still trying to collect the whole series. I think I have about two or three left. 

I wish there were more young adult fiction based on horses. I love horses. They're so beautiful! But I'm also a little scared of them (shhhhhh). Don't tell. 


Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

When I saw this cover, I mind-gasped (meaning the little voice in my head gasped). The cover is so amazing!  As I flipped the book over to check the blurb and then flip through a little bit, I was thinking "Please be good, please be good, please be good. Live up to your cover." From what I've glimpsed so far, I think it's going to be a solid and if not pretty darn good novel. It's built on the concept of Beauty and the Beast, along with Indian (the country, not the people. well. you know what I mean) curses and legends. 

The girl main character is American and the guys are Indian (from India. if I didn't make that clear enough before). And I really love trans-cultural stories. I don't care if that's not a word. 


Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Carolyn Meyer

Carolyn Meyer writes a lot of historical fiction, especially for English royals and stuff. I've read her books before (liked the one on Princess Mary. Anne Boleyn one? Not so much) and thought this might be interesting. 


Captivate by Carrie Jones

Now this one sounded really interesting. It is fantasy. Apparently there's this war that has been going on for ages between the pixies (I'm assuming they aren't tinker bell types) and the humans that has been recently stopped. But current king's lessening control over his people (the pixies) draws a new king to town. And he says it's destiny that the girl main character Zara be his queen. Or something to that effect. 

At first I wasn't sure I wanted it, but then I read a scene where *SPOILER* two girls (Zara and someone) are talking together while the new king is tied up in the backseat of the car with wire. Supposedly bouncing around uncomfortably. Yes, that is what convinced me to buy the book. What?? He makes some very sarcastic comments while being totally unable to get himself out of the mess. It's so amusing.


Deep Green by Melody Carlson

This is part of the True Colors series. Each book in this series features a... what you might call a "vice." Deep Green's vice is jealousy. And even though this series is Christian the author doesn't come across as preachy at all. There is no action, no significant plot twists, but the books really emphasize the worth of each individual person and how they belong on the earth for a reason. 


Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

The first time I read this book, it dazzled me. I had never read a book like it before with its virtual role playing games and extreme artificial intelligence. Also the name of the game company--Rasmussem Enterprises-- is extremely weird and beckoning. In other words, awesome. 

Even after I've read so many sci-fi and dystopian novels, I still think that Velde has her own unique genre in the world of fiction that is not occupied by many other authors. 

Word of caution. It might be too awesome for you to handle ;)

My sister already has a copy, but I wanted my own because 1) it's really good and 2) sadly, I might be moving away to college next year and I want to take it with me.

Oh, and here's a picture of my new necklace. I love it! It's so intricate and delicate. 


Yes, it's a golden leaf. It looks like the leaves that have lost all their color and only have the lacy skeleton left. And if you're curious, the shirt says "Hibernate with me." It's perfect too. I love sleeping. 

                                                                          Peace out, 
                                                                                        X


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Haul + My First Guest Post (!)

Airplanes and Sky

Waiting on Wednesday {2}